Badminton royalty, including former Dolce & Gabbana ambassador Lin Dan, will soon descend on the Gold Coast for the Sudirman Cup (May 21-28). And well, because we didn't know a whole lot about the sport, here are five quick facts to bring you up to speed.
1. Speaking of speed, if you have a need for it, no racquet sport is quicker than badminton, with speeds in excess of 332 km/h.
2. It seems like we're not up to speed with the world of sports. Did you know Badminton is the second most popular sport in the world, after soccer?! No surprise that the Sudirman Cup is estimated to attract more than 1,500 competitors from over 30 countries and a global television audience of more than 500 million.
3. Okay, I still snicker at the word, but shuttlecocks (he he) are the name given to the badminton's high-drag feathered projectiles. What’s no laughing matter is that the best ones are made out of 16 feathers from the left wing of a goose.
4. While over the years, most players have started using synthetic strings, some players still use guts made from the dried stomach lining of animals like cats or cows. While it may sound gross, it’s also what is used in many violins, archery bows and even stitches.
5. Badminton became an official Olympic sport back in ‘92 at the Barcelona Olympics and will also be played in our brand new Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Get your tickets here.
Words by Louisa von Ingelheim